Friday, April 16, 2010

Jan Hopkins@ SOFA NYC, 2010


PARK AVENUE ARMORY, Park Avenue at 67th Street, New York, NY, 10021
Represented by Jane Sauer Gallery, Santa Fe, NM, Booth 111
April 16-19, 2010

"FISH OUT OF WATER", "FISH OUT OF WATER", 31 1/2" x 11 1/2" x 7", Sturgeon skin, halibut skin, salmon skin, waxed linen,bull kelp, ostrich shell beads and shell buttons

I relate to this piece because ever since I was a child I was always the "fish out of water" or the one who marched to a different drummer...always left of normal! Ha Ha...turns out that was probably a good thing!

"CAREFREE", 22" x 13" x 7", Lunaria, laurel leaves, cedar bark, waxed linen, and paper

My Daughter who is now 33, was a sweet bouncy 9 year old when she drew the picture that is on the chest of the torso. She was our little bright star. She went through the most horrific teen years from the ages of 14 to 22. There was years of tremendous pain and sadness. There was one thing that I held onto that one of the many councelors told me and that was "her base for her personality is formed at the age of 4" and told me "to hold onto that little girl." When she was 9, we printed cards of her artwork. I kept one of her cards in my desk to remind me that little girl was the same little girl that was in so much turmoil. I kept the faith and by the time she was 22, she had her own little girl and turned her life around. Today, I have my daughter back, a happy successful woman with a lot of empathy and knowledge. My life today is so good




"AGE OF INNOCENCE", 21" x 13" x 8", Lunaria. skeleton leaves, preserved leaves, Cardioiocinum giganteum seeds, yellow cedar bark, waxed linen paper

The visual mood of this piece says it all, it is light-hearted and happy. The quote on the collar is "Childhood is the most beautiful of all life's seasons." I hope it portrays the gift of innocence that we are all born with and something that I wish we could hold onto or bottle


No comments: